Monday, March 21, 2011

Sister Fiesta Meets Salsa Throwdown

When I knew that my sister would be coming to visit for the weekend I knew that we had to spend our time together in the kitchen.  You see, it’s been a while since my sister, Kim, and I have been able to spend some quality time together.  So long, in fact, I don’t think she’s ever tasted my cooking.  Remember, ‘I am simply a newly married wife learning my way around the kitchen’.  I had to get her in my kitchen and show her that she’s not the only one who can whip a spatula around- Or in this case, dice a Jalapeno. 

Like I’ve mentioned before, I’m competitive and well, it runs in the family.  No, no, no we couldn’t just spend some good ol’ fashion time whipping something together in the kitchen!  It had to be a throwdown.  Had to be!  And, being that I like a challenge I chose salsa, her specialty.  The thought was that victory would be just that much more rewarding and maybe, just maybe, I liked the idea of sticking it to her a little.  Besides, it was a win-win; No matter what I was going to enjoy some amazing salsa.  So with that, we decided to channel the 25-ish% of Latina in us and cook fiesta style.


  

Salsa
Kim’s:  Salsa de la Winner · A. Daily’s: Tomatillo Salsa
Tacos
Carne Asada · Shredded Chicken · Shrimp


Salsa de la Winner
Yields 6 Servings

8 California Dried Chiles
8 Japanese Dried Red Chiles
3 Black Dried Chiles
1 ½ White Onion
4 Tomatillios
2 Small Tomatoes
5 Garlic Cloves
2 Limes
Cilantro (1 Bushel)
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Roast dried peppers.

Boil roasted peppers, ½ onion, tomatillios, and tomatoes.  Drain.

Using a food processor, process all ingredients together.    Add salt and pepper to taste.

Tomatillo Salsa
Yields 6 Servings

1 ½ Lbs. (8-10) Tomatillos
1 ½ Fresh Serrano Chiles (½ de-seeded)
Cilantro (1 Bushel)
4 Tbs. Fresh Lime Juice
2 Garlic Cloves
Pinch of Onion Powder
Kosher Salt (approximately 1/4 tsp.)
Ground Pepper

De-husk, wash (with warm water), remove stems and slice tomatillos in half.

Using a food processor, process all ingredients together.    Add salt and pepper to taste.

The Verdict:  Let's just say I want a rematch!  So here it is:  Family, Friends and A. Daily Kitchen Followers, you have the recipes, take them to YOUR kitchen and let me know what you think.

In other words, she won... (For now, that is).

6 comments: