Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010 Recap

I know, I know… I’ve fallen a little behind with posting this week.  I blame it on the turkey!  He made me eat, and nap, and eat, and play cards, and eat, and nap… Oh, you get the idea.  It was pretty unbearable.  I’m back and ready to get in the kitchen, but first I want to recap my Thanksgiving holiday.

Our Thanksgiving was spread over two Turkey Days, I like to refer to it as “His and Hers.”  We celebrate Thanksgiving Day (Thursday) at his parents’ house, and the Saturday after we recreate the whole thing and celebrate with her (my) family.  Get it, “His and Hers?”  We get double the food, double the family time, and double the fun (Oh, and double the dishes too).  It’s great, except for the dishes part!

His Thanksgiving (Turkey Day Round 1)

I started prepping/cooking Thanksgiving dinner with McD about oh 5-ish (?) years ago.  It’s something that I really enjoy doing and it’s definitely part of that ‘special family time’ I was talking about in I LOVE ThanksgivingThe day usually starts off pretty early (somewhere between 6:00 AM and 7:00 AM) with peeling potatoes or decorating the table, and ends around 8:00 PM with leftover turkey sandwiches and a Christmas movie.  And everything in between, of course. 

This year was really no different (except Ryan and I didn’t stick around for the movie, by 8:00 PM our full bellies started demanding pajamas and we had to oblige).  McD and I started around 7:30ish with prepping the turkeys, then sat down to make the schedule/check-list for the day.  Slowly but surely, one by one things were crossed off and wah-la, the check-list was tackled.  She did most of the work!  Speaking of tackling, McD and I only wanted to wrestle each other once this year.  (Yes, I will wrestle my mother in law.  She’s one tough cookie!)  We managed to resist the urge and move forward though.  I was proud of us!  Hm, now that I think about it… What happened to those carrots?

My Favorite(s):  Corn Soufflé and Roasted Brussels Sprout

Her Thanksgiving (Turkey Day Round 2)

I get really excited about Her Thanksgiving because it’s at my house and I do just about all of the cooking.  There’s just something special about having all the family together at my house eating at my table, it’s that something that I’ve come to appreciate (again, what I was talking about in I LOVE Thanksgiving) about Thanksgiving.

The day started around 5:30ish with making the schedule/check-list for the day, then it was time to start brewing the cider (my favorite and an absolute must in order for me to function that early).  I prepped the turkeys next and then panic started to set in just a little, only a little.  I was just feeling a little overwhelmed with the check-list.  Luckily McD showed up at that point and helped peel potatoes (which I should have done the night before), and Ryan helped too.  While they were being busy little peelers (there were A LOT of potatoes) I was getting the stuffing put together (again, something I should have done the night before).  From that point on things seemed to flow from one thing to another and before I knew it everything was done.  And!  I’m very happy to say that everything on my planned menu got accomplished.

My Favorite(s):  Pear Liquor Hard Sauce and Apple Pie, together!

THANK YOU to everyone that celebrated with us, especially our families.  This holiday really holds a special place in my heart and so do all of you!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Ryan and McD for all of your help!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to God for blessing me with so much to be thankful for this year!

1 comment:

  1. Turkey Day Round 2
    The food was amazing and the table was beautifully arranged. Grandma-grandma would have enjoyed everything and asked for a doggie bag.

    ReplyDelete