Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ingredient: Apples!

I love that we're FINALLY getting some crisp Fall weather in Southern California.  It's weather like this that makes me love Fall.  I now feel more motivated than ever to fill the house with all the sweet aroma of Fall baking.  Baking season I officially in full gear at my house.

I'm really feeling inspired by apples right now.  I love how apples are pretty just sitting in a fruit bowl, I love all the different colors and shades, I love how refreshing they are, and I really love how they smell when they're baking in the oven.  Oh-my-goodness do they smell delicious!


 


Homemade Applesauce ·  Apple Cider

Homemade Applesauce

1-2 Naval Oranges
1 Lemon
10-12 Apples (Use 1/2 Granny Smith, 1/2 Mix)
1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 pinch Cinnamon, to taste
1 pinch Nutmeg, to taste
3 Tbs. Salted Butter, cubed

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, zest and juice the orange(s) and lemon.  Add remaining dry ingredients and stir.

Core, peel, and quarter apples.  Add the quartered apples to the above mixture as you go.

Transfer the mixed ingredients to a Dutch oven.  Sprinkle cubed butter atop.

Bake for 1.5-2 hours.  Mix baked apples with a wire whisk.

Apple Cider (My Favorite)

1 (1 Gal) bottle of Apple Cider
2 cups Apple Juice
1 cup Cranberry Juice
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1 dash Cinnamon
1 dash Nutmeg
1 Orange, sliced
1 Cinnamon Stick

Turn your Crockpot on high.  Pour in all liquid ingredients, then stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Top it off with 3-4 orange slices and a cinnamon stick.

Let brew on high for 2 hours, then turn to low until ready to serve.

Go put on your Ugg boots and enjoy a movie with Hubby.  

My Tips/Tasty Finds:
  • Don't discriminate, use a little of variety.  When baking anything with Apples I like to take advantage of the wide variety available-All the flavors, and textures, and colors blend together so nicely.
  • Apple Cider!  Start with a good quality Apple Cider.  I like using an organic cider.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley's homemade applesauce is very YUMMY, I was the Halloween taste tester....she got an A+

    ReplyDelete